Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Interview with a Vampire

I would usually consider myself a fan of the vampire genre, but I had a hard time getting hooked onto this book. I have not read it before and I haven't seen the movie, so I was able to take it as a new experience. I can't really put my finger on it, but there was just something that didn't completely grab my attention. (The whole little girl vampire with adult mind scenario was pretty unnerving and uncomfortable to read so perhaps that is one reason.) I did like the twist at the end of the interview though, with the boy asking to become a vampire. I sure wasn't expecting it, and apparently neither did Louis.

The book was able to break the mold of the classic vampire (Dracula, Nosferatu) by having characters with such different personality types as vampires. Lestrat was like the old take on the monster- bloodthirsty, violent, seductive and manipulative. And despite his bloodthirsty nature, he was alluring. It was fitting for Lestrat to be the first vampire introduced. But then we're introduced to Louis, who was this new, sympathetic take on a vampire. He had flaws, morals, felt love and compassion but would occasionally give in to the temptation of his "vampiric" side. His character is made up of tragedy and romance. Practically all modern takes on vampires have a character that evolved from the sensible Louis.

As I said earlier, I am a fan of the vampire genre. One of my favorite vampire book series is the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. One of the main vampire characters, Bill Compton, is very similar to Louis in that he is also one of the tragic, romantic vampires. They both have had their hearts broken in their past, lost family members, and had unwittingly turned another into a vampire in awful circumstances. Having read this series before Interview with a Vampire, I can see now where Charlaine Harris probably got her inspiration. They are short books too (and murder mysteries!), so I'd definitely recommend to give them a read if you enjoy vampire novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment