Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Anansi Boys

I knew absolutely nothing about The Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman before I started reading the book. The only thing I could assume at first glance was that the book had something to do with the infamous Anansi- the trickster spider that many people have read about in folk tales as children. I used to read the Anansi stories when I was little in elementary school. Spiders really freak me out, but I always make an exception for Anansi.

I have only been able to read up until the middle of Chapter four, but I've got to say I'm loving this book. I love when authors use a combo of modern themes and supernatural, old world myths and ideas. Fat Charlie, the unfortunate, flawed character, is thrown into a world of gods and folklore. The beginning started off really "ordinary." Just an unfortunate character with an eccentric father. The funeral scene was a great, I was feeling horribly embarrassed for Fat Charlie. I was really surprised to see the first conversation with Mrs. Higgler take a turn towards the bizarre. I would've reacted the same way when some lady started throwing out ideas of Gods and a mysterious brother you've never met!

I'm interested to see what kind of direction the "magic" in this book will take. So far, there's been hints to Anansi being able to heal sick and be incredibly lucky, and the communication between people and spiders. It seems like it'll be more of a nature kind of magic- more old world and less magic tricks and waving wands.

Finishing the Night Circus will have to wait, because I am really enjoying the Anansi Boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment