Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Hobbit

I've known the story of The Hobbit since I was very little; my brother and I used to watch the animated movie constantly. My brother still watches it when I go back home for break, and the songs are left stuck in my head for days. But aside from watching the movie on repeat- I had never read The Hobbit until now. I was surprised to find all the songs were actually written in the book and they were not just an addition to the animated film. They were a nice touch to the story (and a lot less annoying then the film's chanting verses).

I found the writing style very appealing, and Bilbo to be an extremely charming and witty fellow. He is such a likeable character to me, because he starts out as such an unlikely hero. He's just a simple hobbit, minding his own business and enjoying the daily routines of eating and smoking his pipe. Simple, plain, and ordinary. Of course, we discover how extraordinary Bilbo can be later on. But even through all his adventures, his encounters with dwarves, elves and a fiery deadly dragon- Bilbo is still a hobbit and returns home in the end (although with much more appreciation to adventure). It gives me the sense that no matter who you are, you can be something extraordinary and still staying true to yourself.

Gandalf is another of my favorite characters (but seriously who doesn't like Gandalf?) He's always got this god like quality to him. He seems to know everything and everyone, and always happens to be there just in the nick of time to save the day (but only when he's needed most). What I like and respect about Gandalf as a character is that he disappears from time to time and lets the other characters and Bilbo fend for themselves. He could technically just kick everyone's butt and god mode the whole way through to defeating Smaug- he's got the power to do it: but he doesn't. He lets the other characters learn and grow from their trials.

(Though I go to say, it feels like they rely on those eagles to get them everywhere way too much. But I suppose there wouldn't be much of a story if they just let the eagles fly them everywhere.) I'll end this with one of my favorite comics about the eagle subject:
http://www.dorkly.com/comic/47169/why-gandalf-never-uses-the-giant-eagles
And a great pun:


No comments:

Post a Comment